Sunday, October 24, 2010

Eye Opener: Environmental Working Group

For this eye opener we were suppose to think of a cosmetic product we use in our daily lives to find out how it affects ourselves and the environment. This website is called, Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database. You are able to find almost any kind of cosmetic product you use from hair to skin to nail products. I decided to search TRESemme' European Tres Two Hairspray, Ultra Fine Mist because I use hairspray everyday.

My score out of ten for this product was a five, meaning it is moderate hazard. Also, 27% of other hairsprays have lower concerns. The ingredients in hairspray are awful for you. Some of the ingredients in this hairspray are:
  • Alcohol
  • Hydrofluorocarbon
  • Octylacrylamide/Acrylates/Butylamineothyl Methacrylate Copolyer
  • Fragrance
Some of the things these ingredients can cause are:
  • Cancer
  • Developmental/Reproductive toxicity
  • Allergies/immunotoxicity
  • Organ system toxicity
  • Irritation
  • Enhanced skin absorption
  • Contamination concerns
These findings shocked me. I have never even considered the ingredients in any of the cosmetic products I use. I use tons of cosmetic products including nail polish, face wipes, shampoo, conditioner, makeup, lotion, body wash, perfume, and etc. If these ingredients really do cause some of these things that is very scary because I use many of these products daily. What I do not understand is why companies put ingredients like this in the product. Is it really not possible to put other natural ingredients into the products? I have never really looked but the next time I go to buy another cosmetic item I am going to look for natural or organic cosmetics.



No comments:

Post a Comment