Monday, October 25, 2010

Share & Voice: Monopoly at McDonald's

This week I wanted to share my opinion about the game Monopoly at McDonald's. I really knew nothing about this game or how it was played at McDonald's so I did some researching on the McDonald's website. According to the Monopoly Game on McDonald's website there are some rules and guidelines you must follow to play this game from who is eligible to play to how to obtain your pieces. What I found interesting was the food options that these pieces are on. The only way to obtain monopoly pieces from the restaurant is by purchasing these foods listed below:
  • Big Mac
  • Hash Browns
  • Filet-O-Fish
  • Large Fries
  • McGriddles
  • Chicken McNuggets (10-piece & 20-piece)
  • Medium Fountain Drinks
  • Medium & Large McCafĂ© Drinks (Hot & Iced)
Do you notice anything about these choices? If the obesity issue in the United States isn't already big enough lets just throw out a game where you can purchase only these food items to play. Why can't stamps be placed on better choices like skinless chicken breast sandwiches, yogurt parfaits, or salads? One thing I did notice on the website though is you do not have to purchase these foods to play. You are able to participate without having to buy anything. It only mentions sending in a letter with your address and the right amount of postage so I am not sure if you have to send in money or what to get these pieces.

Another thing I noticed on the McDonald's website are the odds to winning the prizes they offer. For example, you have a 1 in 6,797,351 chance of winning $100.00 dollars cash or a 1 in 273,825,959 chance of winning the 1 million dollar grand prize (Which if you do win read the fine print, you get $50,000 dollars every year for 20 years). After seeing the odds to winning I do not know why so many people would want to play. Some friends of mine that have been playing have mostly been winning free fries or pops from McDonald's, which is what I would imagine to be the majority of the prizes.

Overall, I find this game to be a joke. This is just another advertising ploy by McDonald's to get people to buy their foods. Yes, you may get a free Redbox dvd or a free medium fry but in the end is it really worth it? You end up spending more money than you really get back in prizes.

Question Time: After hearing my overall opinion I want to know what you guys think. Do you think this game is a good idea? Maybe you play it and have more information for me? Let me hear your thoughts and opinions. Thanks!


Source: 2010 Monopoly Game at McDonald's; http://www.playatmcd.com/default.aspx?accepts=cookies

Image: The copyright holder of this file allows anyone to use it for any purpose, provided that the copyright holder is properly attributed. Redistribution, derivative work, commercial use, and all other use is permitted.




2 comments:

  1. Alicia I couldnt agree with you more. Why do we continue to market these awful food choices if our obesity rates are so high .. it makes no sense. I also dont think that it is a very good idea because it is very marketable to kids. Kids love games such as Monopoly so it really makes you wonder what the real agenda is.. Nice Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alicia, it's sad to admit but I do from time to time go to McDonald's just to get the Monopoly game pieces. It's actually really the only times I go to McDonald's to be honest. I typically don't go to McDonald's because it's not healthy for you and it doesn't curb your appetite for any period of time, at least in my opinion. You couldn't be more right though in that our obesity problem is outrageous and why add to it by placing game pieces on some of the most unhealthy choices that McDonald's offers. The sneaky marketing ploy's that corporate America uses, unbelievable! Nice post.

    ReplyDelete