Sunday, October 31, 2010

Eye Opener: Junk on the Brain

Part 1 Terms defined:

  • antiques/antiquing: "an old collectible item. It is collected or desirable because of its age, beauty, rarity, condition, utility, personal emotional connection, and/or other unique features. Antiquing is the act of shopping, identifying, negotiating, or bargaining for antiques." (Source: Wikipedia, 2010)
  • junk/junking: taking something you own or something someone else owns that they no longer want and change in into something useful; ex: a house decoration
  • flea market: a place someone sells things they do not want at lower prices; you can also buy things from vendors that they no longer want (Source: Wikipedia, 2010)
  • thrift shop: a place that sells used items to others for lower prices than normal (Source: Wiktionary, 2010)
  • upcycling: "the process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or a higher environmental value" (Source: Wikipedia, 2010)

PART 2: Answer the following questions:

1. The above terms have to do with environmental health because they help reuse old products so new ones do not have to be made. As the old saying goes "Ones junk could be anothers treasure." By selling or donating your old, used items you could be benefiting someone else. Instead of throwing older things away give them to a new person to be reused. Buying new things only uses more materials. By reusing other items you are being environmentally friendly and saving money because it is one less product that has to be made and purchased.

Antiques/Antiquing:
Father Time Antiques
Location: 395 S. Lake Ave Duluth, MN 55802
Phone: (218)-625-2379 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (218)-625-2379 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Junk/Junking:
Blog: Junk Camp, A Junker's Diary
Seaman's Yesterday's Treasures
Location: 5617 Grand Ave Duluth, MN 55807-2539
Phone: (218)-628-1969

Flea Market:
Studebaker Drivers Club Swap Meet Flea Market and Classic Car Show
Location: Lake Superior College, 2101 Trinity Road Duluth, Minnesota, 55811

Thrift Shop:
Goodwill
Location: 700 Garfield Avenue Duluth,MN 55802
Phone: (218)-722-6351

Upcycling:
I had some trouble finding a local upcycling place but I feel like this is something you could do on your own. You could possibly change something you have or look at a friend or family members things they no longer want.

Resale Shop:
Plato's Closet
Location: 5115 Burning Tree Road Suite 315 C Duluth, MN 55811
Phone: (218)-733-9455


When talking about junking or antiquing I really did not think I did until looking at the definitions of the terms. I actually do more of this than I thought. I sell and buy clothes at Plato's Closet all the time. If there is something I do not wear anymore I bring it somewhere to get some money or donate it to benefit someone else. Usually if my clothes do not get bought from Plato's Closet I will donate them to Goodwill or Savers. I also go to Savers a lot to look for things for around the house. If I can go to Savers and get a dresser or coffee pot for half of the price than at a department store why not do it. You are saving money and helping out the environment. I really want to start getting creative by making things for when I get my own apartment or house.

PART 3: Get your junk on!

Project 1: The Fish or Cut Bait

I thought this project was very cute. I am addicted to candles and always want new ideas on how to decorate with them. This project would be able to be outside or inside of a house. I think if I ever did something like this I would make it have a more indoors look.

Project 2: Must be L-O-V-E

This project is my favorite. It looks like it would be so fun and easy to make. You would need to find some old wood blocks and get script paper to make it look like it is actual dictionary paper. What I also like about this is you could do a lot of different words besides love like passion, laugh, live, life, or even peoples last names. These blocks could be set outside, in the living room, bathroom, bedroom, or etc.

Project 3: Simple Mondays-Take Two

The last project I looked at got my attention because I like flowers. I think flowers add so much more to a room along with a nice smell. I am interested in finding ways to make the flowers I buy stand out more because just putting them into a vase is boring. You need different ways to make them look pretty and have detail.

Source: Project Ideas from Junk Market




2 comments:

  1. Alicia, I didn't really realize I did any of this stuff either until I read what all of the terms meant as well. I too shop at Savers, Goodwill, etc... and bring in a lot of stuff that I don't use anymore. I agree with you that the savings are amazing for actually really great stuff and it preserves the environment by not buying new and wasting. I like the fish or cut bait idea and think that it would indeed go really good at a cabin or hunting shack or just out in the wilderness in general. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As simple as it sounds, I have never considered selling my clothes at something like Plato's Closet. I have always just donated them, and I realized this isn't bad either, but at long as I am a college student who can make use of any extra money I will do what you have said by trying to sell the clothes first, then donate.

    ReplyDelete